Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Pumpkin Patch & Halloween

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I love the holidays. I love to decorate the apartment, bake, listen to holiday music and create new traditions with Kyle. 

About a month ago, Kyle and I went to our first pumpkin patch while we were in Houston visiting the parents. The patch was at my parents new church and it was a really fun experience. There were little kids dancing and seeing to Disney songs on a little stage and tons of pumpkins scattered everywhere. I will say the one downside to having the whole pumpkin patch experience to buy your pumpkin is the cost. We bought two (one medium and one large) and spent a little over $20. A little hard to justify when you see them outside of Walmart for $3.97....but we had fun. 




We carved our pumpkin with a dachshund in honor of our little wiener dog, Darla. We planned on carving both, but because we left it to the last minute, we didn't feel like carving the second pumpkin at 2am. 






On Halloween we had a couple friends over to dress up, eat lots of junk food and watch Hocus Pocus. It was kind of a low key affair, but still festive and fun. Kyle and I dressed up as hot dog vendors and we bought a hot dog costume for Darla. I truly believe that if you have a wiener dog  you absolutely must dress them up as a hot dog at least once.




The next day was my grandfather's 97th birthday up in east Texas. Kyle and I made homemade pigs in blankets (kolaches) and hit the road early. It was a potluck lunch, so Kyle and I brought corn casserole and homemade hot rolls (a family tradition started by my grandmother.) I was so excited that our food was the only stuff that was completely gone by the end. A small accomplishment, I know, but I felt like I'd passed the married test or something. On the way home we stopped at Dairy Queen for a pumpkin pie Blizzard. Amazing!



On Sunday, we got up early yet again for the Race for the Cure. We walked for the cure on my friend's team in memory of her mother. I always complain about waking up early every year, but it always ends up being a fun experience. Kyle really got into the spirit with all of the free stuff he got...a fanny pack, energizer bunny ears, a pink cape....the works. We each walked in celebration of my Aunt Minnie who recently beat her cancer.

And thus ends the weekend of craziness that was Halloween Weekend. This week....TURKEY DAY!!!

1 comment:

dixie said...

oh my gosh, your aunt beat the cancer! that's amazing and wonderful I'm so happy for her and you. I know you were really worried about that.

Miss you, see you in just a couple weeks!